Monday, March 17, 2008

Tongue Tied

There are no pictures to accompany this post, just a few thoughts as I encountered Rachel's first medical procedure today. Yes, I did it. I had her fenulum released or a fenulumectomy (no I don't know if I spelled it right). What may you ask is that? It is getting your child's tongue tie cut. I have debated and stressed about this procedure for the entire 10 days that she has been alive. I finally decided on day 3 that it was absolutely necessary or we wouldn't make it much longer with breastfeeding. We were having such a hard time and thankfully I am not a first time Mom so I knew something was wrong. I asked and asked in the hospital about it and everyone said just wait and see what happens or as long as she is gaining weight it is fine. However, having great difficulty with feeding is NOT fine. I shall spare everyone the gross details, but I really almost gave it up. We were told our pediatrician could just take care of it, so imagine my surprise when on day 5 we went to the pediatrician and paid our $25 co-pay and he said, oh we don't do that here, you have to go to an ENT. An ENT? I am not kidding. And so I had to wait until today. I thought I was okay with it, but I got more and more nervous last night and this morning. Alas, we arrived to see this ENT and to proceed with the fenulum release. Of course, as I go to pull her out of the carseat for the scale it turns out she had pooped all the way up her back and front. So, with all that poop, a onesie and an outfit she came in at a whopping 7 lbs. I am certain it is closer to 6 lbs 11 oz. Maybe less by the amount of poop that came out. So there we stood ready for the moment and my Mommy protective nature kicked in. Was I really doing the best thing for her? Would she ever forgive me? Would I start crying as I watched in horror and of course due to the lack of sleep and overactive hormones? And most of all, would she really be okay? I hounded the doctor with several questions and then we went for it. It was painful watching them hold her little chin and head still and I couldn't look as they actually did it. Rachel didn't particularly like being held down, but as they held the gauze on the wound for blood the cute nurse rubbed her cheek and calmed her down. She never even let out a scream. I couldn't believe it. And I couldn't get to her fast enough. Amazingly they want you to feed her right there to soothe the wound (who knew breastmilk was so great) and it was a night and day difference. I couldn't believe how easy it was for her to latch on. I couldn't believe how well she ate. Fortunately it has lasted all of today and so I know I made the right choice. But man, it is hard to knowingly submit your child to pain...even though you know it is best for them and even though you know they won't remember it. What a stressful morning! I am so glad I did it, but it just reaffirms how much you love your child from the minute they are born. 10 days into this, I love her more than anyone could ever imagine. She better not ever doubt it! Of course, I apparently failed to explain it very well to my children as I was leaving. Jacob got it for the most part, but Anna came running to the door and wanted to see what her mouth looked like. I thought it was a pretty normal question until she asked me what Rachel would do with her tongue cut off. Oops. We had to explain it one more time. Gratefully, we are no longer tongue tied, although for a moment today as I waited for her to cry, I was tongue tied for just a moment. And that, my friends, is a true feat!

12 comments:

Shauna said...

Way to go Rachel! I can't believe she didn't even cry! Lucy screamed bloody murder when we had hers done. Our pediatrician just brought it up at her first appointment, and did it right there, so I didn't have time to think about it or get stressed out about it, which was actually kind of nice. I would have become far too paranoid if I had had time to worry about it.

Anyway, I'm glad things are going good, and that she's eating so well now!

Whitney said...

I've never even heard of this! I'm going to call you for more details AND to catch up on your new little one.

Anonymous said...

that is one loooooooonnnnnnnggggg paragraph!

-the paragraph police-

Perry's said...

I am so glad that it all worked out for the best. It is so great that you were able to recognize that something was wrong...sometimes it is hard to even think clearly after a new little one!

Mindy Williams said...

To the paragraph police,
If you don't like it, don't read it! No one asked you to be the police and on my blog, I can go ahead and write however I want! So there!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it made such an immediate difference.

As to nursing her right after, I only learned with this last baby, all of the amazing things breast milk can do.
It has insane healing properties. This might sound gross, but I've dabbed my own breast milk on my canker sores and they disappear ten times faster than they ever have.

Anonymous said...

apparently you don't understand sarcasm, either.

-the sarcasm police -

PS - you know I am just teasing you, right? or do the tongue-in-cheek police need to pay a visit?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mindy,

It's me Nicole from UDOH, Jenny J. showed me your site. My little girl Gabriella was just slightly tongue tied and she did her own relese with her finger. One day I went to see her in day care and she had poked a hole through it and then the next she finished the job. No blood, and no crying that I am aware of. I'm much happier, I forsee many days of sticking her tongue out at the boys.

www.bissmac.blogspot.com Nicole

Jenny said...

I've never even heard of this! Yikes I'm glad Pearl didn't have any problems. I have no idea what I'm doing as a mom so it's a good thing you already had practice with two other kids so you knew something was wrong. As to your frined Summer's comments, I just read them to Jeff and he laughed, calling breastmilk quack medicine. It really was more funny in person than over a blog post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mindy,

I just chatted with Jenny and she thought that you thought I made all the anonymous comments on the tongue tied entry. I ONLY did the one about Gabby releasing her own tongue. I'm too tired to do all the teasing of the other comments. Now your comment on my blog makes sense. Hope you are well. Nicole B.

Jodi said...

All right it's time for an update. We need more pictures of this growing baby and your cyber stalkers need to know how you all are doing.
LOVE!
Jodi

Stephanie said...

You are my inspiration, I'm taking my big boy in on Wednesday to have his tounge released. (Assuming they'll do it now, nine months later) Wish me luck. I'm wondering all the same things you mentioned, but, I do believe it's best. Thanks to you and your Dad's advice. I hope you are all well, we all got Miles' yucky cough, runny nose, so when we recover, I'll call and we can get together.

Why we joined this bloggy-blog world!

We hope that we can keep in better contact with our friends and family, both near and far. Besides, it is easier to see pictures this way instead of emailing them! And did we mention we think our family is pretty cute, especially those kids of ours! Check back often and keep in touch!

About Me

I am a proud 32 year old woman (you know they say 30 is the new 20!) I am married to Bart, the love of my life, and we have three amazing kids, Jacob, 6 1/2, Anna,3 1/2, and Rachel 9 mos. We met in college in Utah and lived there for the first 6 years of our marriage. Then we followed Bart's career and moved out to the East Coast. We decided to follow it back to the west about a year ago and are adjusting to life in a new place. We are sure thankful for all that we have and hope to stay in better touch with friends and family alike with our blog!