Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A funny story... seriously, hilarious.

This is a true story. Names have been withheld.

While at church a couple of days ago, I was holding a sweet little one in my arms. I thought I looked pretty cute in my skirt, my tank top and my shrug. I hadn't previously dared to wear shrugs due to the leftovers from childbirth. They just aren't pretty. Anyway, I digress. We were in the hallway to avoid being a distraction to the rest of the primary.

I was busy talking to our home teacher (for those non-Mormons, that is a male adult who is assigned to check up on your family each month to see if you need anything) in the hallway about something when suddenly the sweet little girl I held made the most awful smell one could imagine. She had been sick with the runs due to way too much watermelon and grapes. Not sick, just well, loose as my mother would say. Naturally I immediately put the stinky, squirming 14 month old on the ground to let her crawl down the hall away from me with that stank. I quickly finished my conversation with this gentleman so that I could chase after the baby. I did notice he seemed a bit distracted at the end of the conversation, but figured it was only natural due to the other people roaming the hallway. I said goodbye and walked around the corner to find my baby girl.

As I bent down to scoop her up, I realized that my cute little tank top was out of place. And by out of place, I mean that apparently when I put my cutie down she had grabbed the tank top and pulled it so far down that my entire bra was exposed. My ugly, old brown 4 pronger grandma bra was completely exposed in the front, except where the shrug covered my shoulders. I was mortified. I think I went white first and then red with the embarrassment. I fixed the wardrobe malfunction and as any good woman would do, pretended it had never happened. For about 10 seconds until this same gentleman came right around that corner so I stayed bent over pretending to check the baby's diaper to avoid looking him in the eye. And of course it was a false alarm. She just had gas! I was beyond embarrassment to the point where I could only laugh. I found my husband and he didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal, but then again, men don't wear bras, they spend their entire lives trying to get a glimpse of them or what's under them. Of course it wasn't a big deal to him. Someone else just saw how great "his goods" are.

So, lessons learned: Don't wear that tank top with only a shrug again. Always check yourself while putting down a baby. Wear cuter bras, especially to church. Try not to flash other men, especially at church. And lastly, when your good friend is looking at you funny because she can't quite figure out what is wrong with your outfit and the gentleman is looking at her pleading with his eyes for her to point out your disrobement, run. Run far, far away. And then laugh.

I hope that my acute embarrassment has in no way offended this nice gentleman and that I may show my face again at church next week. But really, it was worth sharing for everyone else to get to laugh with (and at) me, wasn't it? So, what is an embarrassing moment for you? And yes, this really happened to me 2 days ago. Ask Meredith Haag...she was my supposed friend at the time.

14 comments:

Kiffon said...

Oh Mindy! That is too funny! Picture this... Me at a water park, coming down off a water slide, only to look down and see the whole top of my suit is down around my waist, and there are only, oh, I don't know, about 50 people wandering by as it happens. AHHHHH!

Whitney said...

that really is hilarious. i'm sorry it happened, but thanks for sharing! :)

Jenny said...

Ha! He was probably awestruck at the "girls" and didn't know how to contain himself. Next month's Home Teaching visit should be an interesting one!

I peed my pants TWICE, once at Lagoon and once at a movie!!!

Shauna said...

Hee! Is it mean that I am delighted that this happened to you, so you could tell such a funny story about it and brighten my late-night packing? I know, the chance to entertain me makes your humiliation totally worth it.

On a different note, you are completely responsible for the fact that I was inappropriate enough to laugh out loud when I saw Truman Madsen on the front page of the paper BECAUSE HE HAS DIED. And yet, there I was, laughing. YOUR FAULT. But we're still BFF. When are we going to S.F.???

Emily said...

Oh, thank you so much for making me laugh, even if it is totally at your expense! ;) My favorite line: "Try not to flash other men, especially at church." Too true, too true. Duly noted.

Meredith Haag said...

I SAID I WAS SORRY!!!
OH! That just makes me laugh so hard!!! Poor cute little Mindy! I seriously just though... "hmm that's an interesting top she has on today! Did I notice that before?" And then we all know I just (like a good friend) turned and walked away! Yes!, even after Bro. Beardall looked pleadingly at me! I just love ya! I'll never let it happen again!

Bethany said...

I knew you were a flasher all along. This just proves it.

PS on your friend list is a James Mosdell. I think I know him from working at the Grand Canyon together. Could it be?

Mindy Williams said...

Thank you to those of you brave enough to share your funny stories too. It was pretty funny, but hopefully I haven't scarred him or maybe I am lucky enough he didn't notice?!? I'll keep everyone updated.

alli coleman said...

Oh my gosh Mindy!! You must have wanted to die. Love this story - thank you sooooo much for sharing! ha!

Jamie said...

Wow that made my day! I think I might even have a better story than that. Not about me but about another ward member so best not to disclose here. Remind me to tell you on Sunday and you will feel better! Seriously though thanks for the laugh. And just know I have had more than plenty of those "uh oh" moments!

Stephanie said...

That is priceless! Thanks for sharing... don't we all have those moments? And what can you do if ya can't laugh!?

Devony said...

I'm laughing very much and logging away your lessons learned for myself! Thanks for sharing a laugh!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Ummm...that is CLASSIC! Is it wrong that I wish I was a fly on the wall during that situation? Oh man...that is one for the books sister!

i wore my shirt backwards and inside out to church once. Sigh...I think something is wrong with me.

The Grapers said...

wow hotstuff...way to let it all hang out!!

Why we joined this bloggy-blog world!

We hope that we can keep in better contact with our friends and family, both near and far. Besides, it is easier to see pictures this way instead of emailing them! And did we mention we think our family is pretty cute, especially those kids of ours! Check back often and keep in touch!

About Me

I am a proud 32 year old woman (you know they say 30 is the new 20!) I am married to Bart, the love of my life, and we have three amazing kids, Jacob, 6 1/2, Anna,3 1/2, and Rachel 9 mos. We met in college in Utah and lived there for the first 6 years of our marriage. Then we followed Bart's career and moved out to the East Coast. We decided to follow it back to the west about a year ago and are adjusting to life in a new place. We are sure thankful for all that we have and hope to stay in better touch with friends and family alike with our blog!