Monday, June 8, 2009

"Twister"ed Metal

Well, as most of my friends, family and neighbors know, we had a twister come on through these here parts yesterday. It makes me feel like I am in Wizard of Oz and livin in Kansas or somethin.
Anywho, we lose points for being the smartest tools in the shed yesterday. We were in church when the hailstorm started and then we heard rumblings about a tornado. Bart abruptly said to me,"The windows are open, we're leaving NOW!" I barely even got my seatbelt on before we were driving like maniacs to get home. It was freaky dark outside and I wondered if it really was a tornado, but didn't want to scare my kids more than they already were.

We ran inside to close the windows and Bart realizes that our trampoline is gone. What? I didn't believe it for a minute but sure enough, no trampoline. My really smart husband went outside in tons of mud with his church clothes and shoes on and I finally realized where the trampoline wa
s. It had apparently been picked up, carried across the empty lot and slammed through the railing of our neighbor's deck. It was like it was part of a ring toss that had landed on the post of their railing. It totally tore up the trampoline. After the storm had passed, everyone started coming out to assess the damage. Bart and I walked to the end of our backyard and could see a house across the main street (Arapahoe Rd) that was putting a tarp on it's roof. It must have had a direct hit for that hole to be there. You can follow it across the main road towards our house and see a set of trees in the middle of several that are just completely pulled out of the ground and snapped in half too. Just crazy. At the top of the hill from those trees (moving closer to our house) is another house with 2 sections of it's roof missing. And the street right up from there has almost all of it's trees snapped in half. The street would be 3 houses up from my house. Holy cow! I can't say I saw the funnel or for sure if it came through that close because it was so loud and windy and all the hail, but I'm just saying it was WAY too close for comfort.
WAY TOO CLOSE!
Here are the pictures we took:
The 'twister'ed metal--may she R.I.P.
Died at age 3 months

From our backyard to the neighbors backporch where it landed. Note the missing railing on the right side, but it gives you an idea of the distance.

Up close of the damaged railing and pots


Other stuff strewn about everywhere in all the neighborhoods. The one doesn't show too much, but the neighbors to the right had all of their huge, heavy patio set thrown all over the lawn

Against the house is some of the leftover crazy hail and it shows why the railing stayed--it was pinned against the house.

Around the corner from our house--lots of trees damaged

Neighbors patio was in upheaval

You can see a couple of the marks from the hail

If you look closely on the right side of the green house, you can see a part of the roof missing

You can see it better here when they pulled out the blue tarp
At least we are all safe, which keeps me going when I get irritated at insurance or thinking of buying another trampoline or stupid material things that tend to distract me. At least we are safe and I will hold my kids a little tighter during the next few storms, I'm sure.

10 comments:

Becky N. said...

Wow. I hadn't heard of the tornado out there. I'm glad you are all safe, despite the bit of property damage!

Although I only lived in Colorado for 3.5 years, and never actually saw a tornado, I saw plenty of seriously strong thunderstorms that made me worry about tornado potential. And I know my brother-in-law was practically in the middle of a tornado once, just outside of Boulder. I think he took cover in a ditch as it went by dangerously close.

Hope insurance dealings go well for you, and that you don't have any more close calls in the future!

Meredith Haag said...

That is so CRAZY! I'm glad that your husband was locked up in the chapel while the twister was at your house! He would probably have tried to run out and hold on to the trampoline! A little tug of war with a tornado never has a happy ending!

Jenny said...

Woah!!! I guess you take your chances with an earthquake or tornado, right? Scary! I'd be freaking out!!! I didn't know tornados hit CO, is it a big threat all the time?

Whitney said...

Thought of you this morning when I saw the news report about the Aurora mall. Isn't that near you? So glad you're all ok but so sorry about your "baby" trampoline!! Bummer.

Jodi said...

Are you serious?!? This is crazy! Since we are without any network TV I have not seen any news of this. I am so glad you all are safe, but I am so sorry about the trampoline :( What a bummer and with summer just starting. I'm so glad you were all safe inside and not out trying to be heroic or anything. The pictures are a bit scary. Yikes!

Bethany said...

What a crazy day. Glad everyone is all right. Trampolines are dangerous.

The Grapers said...

Mindy, I am so sorry about your trampoline. It had a good life for those 3 months....just focus on that

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

I am thinkin you need a trampoline that is made out of concrete. The kids would love it!

creatividadsiempre.blogspot.com said...

Oh my gosh -- that is crazy! Your kids will have some good memories and stories to share for years to come. I am so glad you are safe.

Gomez said...

Poor trampoline..... what a huge bummer. I can not believe how many were thrown all over the place and those huge play-sets.

Why we joined this bloggy-blog world!

We hope that we can keep in better contact with our friends and family, both near and far. Besides, it is easier to see pictures this way instead of emailing them! And did we mention we think our family is pretty cute, especially those kids of ours! Check back often and keep in touch!

About Me

I am a proud 32 year old woman (you know they say 30 is the new 20!) I am married to Bart, the love of my life, and we have three amazing kids, Jacob, 6 1/2, Anna,3 1/2, and Rachel 9 mos. We met in college in Utah and lived there for the first 6 years of our marriage. Then we followed Bart's career and moved out to the East Coast. We decided to follow it back to the west about a year ago and are adjusting to life in a new place. We are sure thankful for all that we have and hope to stay in better touch with friends and family alike with our blog!