Friday, February 29, 2008

Babies are curious things!

Naturally with a new baby on the way, the kids are bound to have questions. Unfortunately, they had to attend maybe a few too many appointments before we found some friends and family that were able to watch them. But, I thought I should take the time to write down some of my favorites that have cropped up during this pregnancy. And Bart promises a belly shot to go on the blog this weekend! Anyway, love what kids say:

Jacob: Mom, what time of day does Heavenly Father put the baby in your tummy?
Mom: I don't really know, I would guess usually at night while you are sleeping.

Anna: I don't like milk! I don't want any milk! (just to be opposite)
Jacob: You have to like milk Anna. When you get older you have to feed it out of your breasts to a baby.

Jacob: Mom, at what point do you realize you are pregnant?
Mom: Well, you usually don't feel good, so you have the doctor check you and they look at your blood and can tell you.
Jacob: Well, what if you don't get sick?
Mom: That's why we have check ups so they can look at your blood.
Jacob: And your pee too.
Mom: That's right, and your pee too.
Jacob: What's in there?
Mom: I don't know, we'll have to ask the doctor.

Anna: Mom, which part of your privates does the baby come out of? Do I have one? Does it hurt?
Mom: It comes out of the baby part and the doctors give you medicine to make it not hurt. Yes, you have one too because you are a girl.

I asked Anna to help pull me up off of the couch and she used all of her 2 year old strength and said, "C'mon, big Mama. You a big Mama with a baby in your tummy." She has since referred to me more than once as "Big Mama". Hope that one doesn't stick too long.

This last one occurred while sitting in the doctor's office. Jacob kept looking at the posters of the woman's anatomy. I finally had to explain that baby's don't come out of the belly button. He took in the limited information I gave him and thought about it. A few seconds later with the widest eyes you have ever seen he said:
How does a baby that big come out of a place so small?
Mom: I don't know, Heavenly Father just made our bodies so that they can do it?!?

The next morning I overheard him explaining everything to Anna. He was actually very accurate. Hopefully this hasn't turned him into the Kindergarten informant or I may be getting some interesting phone calls.

These kids are just too smart. Fortunately we have not had the one big question of how the baby got in there just yet...just what time of day and how they come out. Hoping to sidestep the big one for awhile!

9 comments:

Perry's said...

Thanks for the great laugh! Hope you are doing well. Love you guys!

Whitney said...

Those are too too funny! Glad you're writing them all down! How ya feelin'?? I know...stupid question! :)

Jodi said...

Oh, those kids make us laugh even from a far. Thanks for the great journaling "Big Mama." We hope you have that baby this weekend!! Missing you soooo much, but have fun with your mom.
Jodi (and Mike laughing as I read it out loud)

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Those conversations are so cute!

JenErik said...

Mind, I love it! Good luck if this week is the big week. We're praying for you. Oh I miss your kids.

Unknown said...

Ha! That is hilarious. Luckily Lane isn't as deep of a thinker. She just keeps telling me how Charlotte is going to "pop" out of my tummy so I can feel better. I have no idea where she got the "popping" part from. I sure hope that is what it is like! Good luck this week! I have been thinking of you!

Jenny said...

Oh Mindy, your kids sound just as funny as you! Thanks for sending these comments along, they are hilarious. And I hope you don't get asked the how did the baby get in there questions either.

Becky N. said...

Hey Mindy! I found your blog linked on Summer's blog. How fun to read what you've been up to!

I love that your kids have been talking so much about the pregnancy and the upcoming baby, how funny! There's some really great quotes, there! Definitely something to relate once they get older. :)

I'm sorry to say it, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only uncomfortably large pregnant woman around right now. ;)

Melinda brought up the uncomfortable question in a car ride, the other day, asking if Heavenly Father put the baby in my tummy. When I replied with a "sort of..." she started asking a million questions (she's all about the "how"!). I ended up telling her that girls have eggs inside them, a little bit like a chicken, and then awkwardly changing the subject. Ack, it's just too hard to concentrate on a sensitive topic like that while you're driving!!

But I would *love* to recommend "A Parent's Guide", available through the distribution center (www.ldscatalog.com, search for item # 31125000) and probably available at your ward library. It basically scripts for you exactly what is the ideal thing to say to kids when they start asking questions and needing to learn about sexuality. I haven't seen a more Christ-like, loving, and honest presentation of the subject matter!

Hope you're doing well and enjoying Colorado!

Eric and Hilary said...

your kids are so hilarious, i miss them. my favorite is jacob's to anna about the breast milk. hil-ar-i-ous. hahaha we just got bart's message about the baby. congrats! i'm so so excited for you that it finally came out. haha you'll have to let us know when you decide for sure on the name. love you!

Why we joined this bloggy-blog world!

We hope that we can keep in better contact with our friends and family, both near and far. Besides, it is easier to see pictures this way instead of emailing them! And did we mention we think our family is pretty cute, especially those kids of ours! Check back often and keep in touch!

About Me

I am a proud 32 year old woman (you know they say 30 is the new 20!) I am married to Bart, the love of my life, and we have three amazing kids, Jacob, 6 1/2, Anna,3 1/2, and Rachel 9 mos. We met in college in Utah and lived there for the first 6 years of our marriage. Then we followed Bart's career and moved out to the East Coast. We decided to follow it back to the west about a year ago and are adjusting to life in a new place. We are sure thankful for all that we have and hope to stay in better touch with friends and family alike with our blog!