Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pregnancy: How beautiful is it really?

So I must start this entry off with the fact that I am so very grateful to be pregnant. I have too many friends and family members that have struggled with this area of their lives to be ignorant to the true blessing it is. I can hardly wait to meet this little one and after a few very small, insignificant scares, I understand how much I already love this baby. So, I am not taking this pregnancy for granted.
However, I do still feel the right to complain a little bit and to see what other women out there really think about the subject: How beautiful is pregnancy really? I mean, as I sit here barely able to reach the laptop on the desk because I am so short and my belly so large, I started to wonder just how beautiful this really is. I, of course, have gained weight, but there is also the pregnancy acne, the swollen body parts (and not just cankles), the noises that come out uncontrollably when trying to move around, and as of late, the real true difficulty of putting on shoes and socks. Even pants are getting hard to put on because my legs are so sore. Really and truly. I can't sleep at night because I can't get comfortable. I can hardly get in and out of the car. I think I stink more, I probably do.
And then there is the idea that just because you are pregnant that you want to share your life with complete strangers and they with you. I have fallen into this category before but then you get a bizarre comment and you think, why? Why did that person say that? My favorites are: wow, you look like you are going to burst--well thank you, I'll keep that in mind for the next 5 weeks that I have. Wow, are you having twins? NO I am not, my butt is just that big. You don't know what you are having, how can you handle the stress of not knowing? I don't know I just like surprises, how can you handle the stress of being so rude?
Seriously, what is it about pregnancy that everyone claims is so beautiful. Yes, the end result is beautiful. I love holding a newborn more than anything. The fact that our bodies can actually do this and that so many babies are actually healthy after enduring this is beautiful. It is beautiful to see families grow and to see your spouse become a parent (whether the 1st or 2nd time, so I imagine the same for the 3rd). But what, physically, is beautiful about your belly sticking out so far that you literally can't drive your father-in-law's stick shift? Really, what? And does this just make me sound bitter that I am not the person that looks normal from the back and then turns sideways and everyone at the gym hates her? I guess so. Oh the joys of being a woman. Is there any possibility that they could just hook me up to the epidural now? I won't complain anymore, I promise, I won't. Any comments or funny things that people have said to any of you ladies out there? I really need to hear them to keep me laughing!

11 comments:

Shauna said...

Um, yeah. You know exactly how thrilled I was to finally be pregnant, but it doesn't mean that there was ANYTHING attractive about those 7 1/2 months. And now that Lucy is safe and healthy, I'm really not missing those last weeks of pregnancy hell that I didn't get to experience.

Hang in there kid- I'm crossing my fingers that the next 5 weeks fly by for you, even though we both know they probably won't. Keep yourself entertained by finally saying something back to all the people who feel the need to make idiotic pregnancy-related comments. You will be totally justified.

Perry's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Perry's said...

I don't think a lady out there gets through a pregnancy without some hysterical comments (maybe not at the time but they are when you look back). One of my favs...."oh, you are having another girl...that is my worst fear. I don't know what I would do." From the foreigner who hardly speaks english.."A boy? No, oh no, husband mad? Must try again for boy." I actually had this comment several times. I seriously had to chuckle every time.

Don't worry it will all be over soon and then you can look back and think...it wasn't that bad (only because you can now bend over to put on your shoes...Chris and Megan had to help me multiple times....should have invested in some slip-ons!)
Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I am always miserable when pregnant. The only thing I enjoy about pregnancy is feeling the baby move. And yet, each time I'm pregnant or see a pregnant woman I do think it is a beautiful thing. I think it is because I feel that it is amazing. Creating a baby is simply miraculous, each and every time. That humans can make a living breathing tiny body that will grow into an adult is astounding.

But yes, the comments from strangers can go. A missionary back in Jones Falls when I was pregnant with Obi-Wan, said to me one Sunday:

"When are you due?"
"Five weeks"
"Are you serious? You're huge. Are you having twins?"
"Nope, just one in there."

Of course the "just one" ended up being 10 pounds. So I guess it could have been twins.

Jodi said...

Oh honey, at least you are not the beached whale I was, remember? I know it seems endless but this to will pass. You made me laugh out loud if that helps (no bitterness detected). I so wish I could be there to bring you Diet Coke and make you put your feet up like you did for me. One day I will be able to return the favor, that is if you change your mind and do this again. I'm crossing my fingers that it all happens naturally...early ;) or is that early...naturally? We miss you guys and hope all that snow melts into a beautiful spring for this little baby.

P.S. at this point just tell those strangers off. Who cares what they think, put them in their place. He he, it's fun to be bitter. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

I would laugh at your post, but it just hits too close to home!! Ok, I did laugh a bit...I seriously can't wait until this baby is out! Maybe adoption next time?!?!! I am so tired. I'd better go take a nap before I say something bitter!

Whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whitney said...

I guess you could also be puking your guts out every day too. Would that help make it worse? Or, does that help you feel better?! :) So sorry...I know you know how lucky you are. Good thing you're documenting the moment so you're reminded in a few months (or years) that it's just not quite time to go back there yet! :) Please send ME this in 3 1/2 months! As Wakie-Wakie would say "You be ok. We almost there." Love you!

Erika Sullivan said...

Yes, Mindy, I have had my fare share of rude comments. You remember how big I was, with both my girls! My favorite were the wonderful African-American ladies of Baltimore, who, most of the time, weighed just as much if not more that I did being pregnant, and how open they were about their comments. Jillene Ladle shared my opinion that they just said what was on their mind a lot more than maybe the rest of us. I grew very tired of "Girrl, you gonna DROP that baby!" Or, "So when are the twins due?" One time I smiled and said, "When are your's due?" Ok, maybe I didn't say it then, but I thought of that witty quip shortly after. I think you have a right to be rude, because no one wants to hear it! Hang in there, it will be over soon enough, and we'll get to find out what you're actually having! We're so excited! We miss you guys!

Stephanie said...

Hi Mindy,

My favorite pregnancy comment came from my Mom during my 1st pregnancy. It went like this. "Steph, you're just so huge... much bigger than either of your sisters EVER were with their pregnancies!"

Yeah, thanks Mom. The great thing is that that was #1 baby, of course I was even bigger than huge on #2 and #3.

Hang in there. You look very cute, but I know you don't feel it. Pregnancy is always cute when it's on somebody else! :)

Jenny said...

Mindy you are so funny! I totally miss you and wish you would have been around when I was pregnant. It brings back fond memories that I don't want to experience again for a very long time!

Why we joined this bloggy-blog world!

We hope that we can keep in better contact with our friends and family, both near and far. Besides, it is easier to see pictures this way instead of emailing them! And did we mention we think our family is pretty cute, especially those kids of ours! Check back often and keep in touch!

About Me

I am a proud 32 year old woman (you know they say 30 is the new 20!) I am married to Bart, the love of my life, and we have three amazing kids, Jacob, 6 1/2, Anna,3 1/2, and Rachel 9 mos. We met in college in Utah and lived there for the first 6 years of our marriage. Then we followed Bart's career and moved out to the East Coast. We decided to follow it back to the west about a year ago and are adjusting to life in a new place. We are sure thankful for all that we have and hope to stay in better touch with friends and family alike with our blog!